Most small towns are fortunate to have one theatre, which is usually the movie theatre that doubles as a performing arts theatre. In Powell River we are privileged to have three major theatres plus smaller venues to accommodate a wide range of performers and events throughout the year.
Built in 1948 as a branch of Moose International, the Carlson Community Club made the final split away from that organization in 2010 to put more emphasis on the local Community. There is a members pub style lounge in the basement and a banquet hall upstairs with full kitchen service that can accommodate 200.
Built in the 1920’s, Cranberry Hall has had a variety of names and uses through the years. Today the hall is operated as the Cranberry Community Hall Association, a non-profit charitable society operated by a volunteer Board of Directors. The Board’s strategic plan includes renovations inside and out with exterior painting and landscaping completed in 2015.
Rich in history, Dwight Hall was built in 1927 by the Powell River Company with features not yet thought of in similar structures of the time. On the main floor is the spacious ballroom with a sprung dance floor and a stage with dressing rooms. Adjoining the great hall is a supper room and kitchen. In addition to being the venue of choice for weddings and banquets, it ‘the place to be’ for traditional Christmas celebrations that take place year after year.
Since it was built in the 1970’s as part of the the Recreation Complex, the Evergreen Theatre has been the primary venue for performances of all kinds including plays, orchestra’s and comedians. The auditorium seats 723 with a full performing stage complete with orchestra pit, computerized lighting system, top quality sound system, dressing and rehearsal rooms.
The building was donated to the Lang Bay Community Club in 1946 when Wolfson Creek school, built in 1921, was no longer needed. Over the ensuing years it was the hub of the surrounding community with District meetings, dances, bake sales, and get-togethers. Currently the Hall hosts a weekly crib club, but is otherwise available for rent to host events.
Max Cameron Theatre was built by SD #47 as part of an expansion to Brooks Secondary. It includes a digital media centre, acoustically-engineered choral room, film and video recording studio, and a dance and drama studio. In addition to the many events taking place on stage each year, ‘The Max’ offers many on-screen events as well, including “Live at the Met”, a hugely popular event for opera fans.
The Pat, as most locals call it, has reason to add ‘historic’ to its name. It has been in operation since 1913. In addition to showing movies, some in HD, seven nights a week with two matinees, it also serves as the venue for weddings, local performers and the Powell River Film Festival.
From its beginnings as a choral program for youth in 1974 “the Academy has grown to a performing arts school, encompassing music, dance, visual arts and theatre with a student body of over 800 and a faculty and staff of 34.”